are many sights of historical interest on Islay. Here are some
of the more accessible.
Church and High Cross
Approx 7 miles north east of Port Ellen.
One of the early Christian crosses in Britain. Dates from the
second half of the 5th century.
Off the A846 between Ballygrant and Port
Askaig. The seat of the Lords of the Isles.
Museums of Scotland.
Visitor Centre open April to September,
Tuesdays, Thursdays &
The Oa. Built by the United States Government
as a memorial to the 266 Americans who perished in the torpedoeing
and sinking of HMS Tuscania in 1 91 8.
South east of Bridgend. Iron Age fort which
offers a wide view of the Laggan Valley.
On the Portnahaven/Kilchiaran Road. Only
three of the 12 blocks of stone are upright, the others lie on
the ground, by the holes which had been dug to receive them. Excavation
in 1874 revealed that the stone circle had never been completed.
Located at the top of the main street
in Bowmore, built with no corners for the devil to hide. Built
by Daniel Campbell in 1767, one of only two in Scotland.
Sited on a promontory on the east side of
Lagavulin Bay (take the first road on the left past Lagavulin).
The ruins of a 16th century castle which was built on the site
of an earlier stronghold of the Lords of the Isles.
&TokamalTownships, the Oa.
Reached by a pleasant walk from Kintra Farm.
Two of the many deserted villages on this once densely populated
(take the track up towards the radio mast
but turn right before you reach it). Most of the buildings were
abandoned towards the
end of the 19th century.
© 2002 isleofislay.info
- Islay - Travel
- What to do - What
to visit - Arts & Crafts
- Distilleries - Historical
- Accommodation - Car
Hire - Diary - E-mail